June 6, 2011

MY Top Works









Mecha Hunter





 This model is the latest in a series of Z brush sculpts I devote to futuristic bounty hunters. This one started out as a poorly drawn line sketch off the back of my sketch book ... I felt OK about how loose the concept was because  I knew what i wanted in the end. with clients i don't have that luxury.  :


 Got to work on this thanks to Lee Moyer a fantastic artist whom I've learned a lot from over the years.
The ships appeared in the last two issues of STARSTRUCK originally illustrated by the great Mike Kaluta.












The Ship was done all in Z Brush save for the fuselage that started in max with splines then quickly turned to editable polys and whisked to Z Brush
for Real Detail.
It was a great exercise in detail restraint at detail thresholds.








The Harpy was Cake compared to the set up for the Tiger fighter ship. However; It still it had it's challenges in that the details would fall out when being moved from Max to Z brush. In the end it was best to bring it in individual parts and the Z brush was happy.



















Optimus: After the Optimus side job I gave up my fan boy membership of 20 sum years. He WAS A MESS this particular Optimus was from ILM.
Our job was to reduce redunadnt polygons and make sure each part was completely solid and air tight for solid surface modeling...most of it was not.
The detail was so great The Upper arm was over 5 thousand parts alone.
It took over two months @ 4 to 6 hours 3 days a week to get the arm to a solid surface point.






Thark.
This character is based off of John Carter of Mars series from the early 1920's a fan of Frazetta which means it's a fan of mine.
He was started in 3d max and then moved over to Z brush for details.
His Uvess were also done in 3d max Via the Pelt tool.
I've gotten better with accessories ...I need to revisit him at some point.








Wolverine:
I Always figured him to short surly and deadly. i started this version in 3d max as a whole base had i to do another I'd sculpt the head fully and get the scowl mask from an extruded mask. the Fingers need work too...in 3d max i should have made a library of hands BEFORE ...hand. no pun intended.





Black Manta:
This was a Comicon contest entry I did a year or so back. When i look back on it i should have stuck with my inclination and stayed closer to the design concept I made.









S
oul Walker:
This was a Z sphere test at the time are detail was a hard refine to come by
Cant wait to be able to afford a full cintiq. not that my 550 Pl cant handle a Job but i fell the more space and dbl level of sensitivity would help.










Iron Maiden:
This is a Dominance War Character I came up with last year but sadly Real work got in the way so I didn't get to Fully realize her in the time Game artisans allows.
Base mesh was started in 3d max and then bought to z brush.
I still work on her and in fact began on the pet in the right corner. getting him AND her within the 10K poly limit would have been a hassle anyhow..now i can make him how it deserves to be made.




Star Fleet Marine:
His base began in 3d max with and edit poly build Uvees were also done in Max. the body is broken into several sub-levels to allow high detail and smooth transition to the areas that it's need and allowing hard edge areas to stay firm. The Dam-standard brush in Z Brush also helps with this.






The Cartoon Miner Guard:
This model was based off of concepts of Mike Phillips work for Relic hunters. A never released game.
The whole model was poly-built in 3D Max Z brush was used for diffuse textures not shown here..they were literally color blobs on Uvees.













3 comments:

Unknown said...

Your blog is very nice I like to enjoy every pages,
sports induced asthma
regards...

Andrew Dorscht said...

Im really digging your Soul Walker. Do you by chance have any videos of it in basic action similar to your videos below. I would love to do some sound design to the character for my audio portfolio, credit you on the animation. send me a message if this is possible!

amaytor said...

nice.....